Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Blessing

Today was a unique day. We went to the funeral of our nephew, Andrew Josiah Nygard. (To read about him go to www.nygardfamily.blogspot.com) I felt very blessed to be there and witness the miracle of his life. Eric and Jenny, his parents were the main speakers at the funeral. Jenny spoke of Andrew's sweet personality and characteristics. She was a pillar of strength as she spoke of her little boy. I felt a great deal of peace and comfort as she spoke. Eric spoke of our knowledge that families are forever. That Andrew is now in the presence of God and that he is performing the work of the Lord there. And that as they live their covenants they too will return to live with him after this life. I feel very blessed to have Eric and Jenny's example of true followers of Christ, and honored that I am able to be so closely associated with them. They truely understand the Lord's plan of happiness for His children. They have consciously chosen to draw near to the Lord during this time. On the back of the program today was this quote ...

"The Lord takes many away even in infancy, that they may escape the envy of man and the sorrows and evils of this present world; they were too pure, too lovely, to live on this earth. Therefore, if rightly considered, instead of mourning we have reason to rejoice as they are delivered from evil and we shall have them again. The only difference between the old and the young dying is one lives longer in heaven and eternal glory than the other, and is freed a little sooner from this miserable world." -Joseph Smith

I left the funeral service with a feeling of needing to arise to the occasion and live a better life and share with others the wonderful Gospel of Jesus Christ. We miss Andrew and will continue to miss him but we know that we can be with him again. What a wonderful, wonderful knowledge we have.

Tonight Kevin's brother. Brian (19 years old) is preparing to leave on a 6am flight tomorrow morning to South America. He is leaving on a two year mission for our church in Uruguay. He is leaving to bring this message of hope and love to the people there. I feel so blessed to be surrounded by such wonderful people that help me to remember and follow Christ.

6 comments:

Mallory said...

Wow. What a good attitude and perspective. Especially in such a hard hard thing to go through.

The Davis Family said...

I love the quote they put on the back of the program - such an inspiration and motivation to do better!

The Thackers said...

Thanks for posting about the funeral. I have been thinking of Eric and Jenny and your entire family. I can't even imagine the pain they must be feeling. I admire their faith and strength so much!

Dorianne said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I appreciated it. I have been thinking a lot about the Nygard family this week.

Laura and crew said...

I get major goosebumps reading that quote. We've felt so sad for you guys and Eric and Jenny but I'm in awe of the strength both and you and they show. Our prayers and with you guys.

The Byrd Family said...

Thanks for posting that. I never met Eric and Jenny, since we moved before they came, but I heard of their loss and have been thinking a lot of them, and praying for them. Thanks for posting such an inspiring and uplifting message!