Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Basketball

We enrolled both Maycie and Nelson in their first team sport this winter at the YMCA. The league was for 3-5 year olds. My thought was, ' great, I can put Maycie and Nelson on the same team'. I came to learn that three year olds are waaaay to young to get it, at least our little three year old is. Maycie loved playing and interacting. Nelson loved holding the ball and shooting but he did not like playing in the games. This likely had to do with four coaches shouting at him at what to do next and everyone running one way and then the next and he had no clue why, at one point he came running to me in tears--poor little guy. But all and all it was a good experience. Maycie will likely do soccer in the spring--Nelson however is going to sit out on the team sports for at least another year.

The coaches were really patient and good at helping Nelson out.
Maycie worked on her shooting skills!
Sibling rivalry lives on...especially on the court!

Nose picking skills were not left at home!
Nelson worked hard on his dribbling skills!
Maycie figured out the skill of dribbling and walking at the same time!
The idea of an opponent has not yet sunk in yet. During the games they would match kids up to guard each other and would put matching bands on their wrists to help them identify each other. I think Maycie thought that meant that they were her assigned friend to run back and forth with.
Nelson loved shooting baskets!
Maycie really liked to guard. She was a guarding machine.
All and all I learned a few things and the kids had a good time--mostly! I must admit I was relieved to have the season over, it was a lot of work!

2 comments:

The Thackers said...

Those are great pictures! I was thinking of signing Sam up for soccer in the spring too. I think he'll love it!

Monica said...

How fun! I love watching little kids sports when they have no clue what they are doing! I have been thinking about enrolling Gracie in t-ball this spring, but we'll see.