Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Art of Shining Shoes

Kevin flew down to the University of Florida for an interview at the end of August. He was interviewing for a residency to specialize in Endodontics after dental school. In preperation for this interview Kevin meticulously picked out what he was going to wear. Then he focused his energy on shining his shoes. One would think that this is a relatively simple process. I have recieved an education and I can now testify that that is not the case. A 'high quality' shoe shine is quite involved, as shown below.

It began very familiar to me, applying polish and then buffing with the brush. That was not the end. Kevin repeated that process three times, yes three.
It was then followed by heating the leather with a blow dryer to warm the leather and polish. After warmed he then shined with nylon. Kev meticulously surveyed his work in the sunlight. I couldn't resist taking these pictures once it escalated to this level. The kids joined in and it became a sunday afternoon family activity. After finishing his three coat process on one shoe and only one coat on the other, Kevin put both shoes in front of me to show me the 'significant' difference. I couldn't tell a difference. But in his defense I am not detail oriented, however I am very gratiful for a wonderful husband who is. He is going to be a great Endodontist.
Right after his interview Kevin recieved a call from Florida and he was offered a spot. We accepted! FLORIDA HERE WE COME! In about 9 months.

2 comments:

Mallory said...

LOL that is funny he is so detail orientated and you are not. Good balance for both of you I guess. I am so excited for you guys on all your soon to be adventures! You will succeed wherever you go!

The Davis Family said...

For some reason this process doesn't surprise me when it comes from the same guy that carried on a 45 minute discussion about mechanical pencils with my husband. I've seen Alan go throug a similar process with his work boots - gotta condition that dry leather! The shoes must have given him the edge in his interview. Congratulations! We're excited for your family!